Taye Diggs wasn’t lying!
‘The Best Man” is set to return as a limited series on Peacock- a streaming service powered by NBC.
“The Best Man: The Final Chapters” will be led by the original movie’s writer and director, Malcolm D. Lee, alongside, former “Insecure” executive producer Dayna Lynne North.
View this post on Instagram
“We’re excited to reunite this beloved cast for a limited series run of “The Best Man” for Peacock,” said Susan Rovner, Chairman, Entertainment Content, NBCUniversal Television, and Streaming. “With a powerhouse duo like Malcolm and Dayna at the helm, fans will fall in love with our favorite group of friends all over again.”
Our favorite group of friends includes the OG cast from both “The Best Man” and its sequel, “The Best Man Holiday.” Inside sources report that Morris Chestnut, Taye Diggs, Harold Perrineau, Terrence Howard, Melissa De Sousa, Regina Hall, Sanaa Lathan, and Nia Long have all closed significant seven-figure deals to reprise their roles within the series.
The only missing original cast member who won’t be included in the series is Monica Calhoun, because (SPOILER ALERT) her character died in the sequel which has now been released more than seven years ago.
“Here we go! The band is back together! I am very excited to bring these iconic characters back to the fans who have supported us through this franchise,” said Lee. “We are thrilled to deliver everything one would expect from this group of friends in The Best Man universe and take them through their final chapters. We can’t wait! I told you it wouldn’t be 14 more years.”
While an official release date has yet to be released, Deadline reports a September 2021 release date.
ORIGINAL STORY 3/18/20
The core star-studded original cast from the movies are set to return, including Morris Chestnut, Melissa De Sousa, Taye Diggs, Regina Hall, Terrence Howard, Sanaa Lathan, Nia Long and Harold Perrineau. I hear the actors all recently closed significant seven-figure deals to reprise their roles in the series, which is eying a September start. The only missing original Best Man cast member is Monica Calhoun whose character died in the sequel, The Best Man Holiday, which was released more than seven years ago.
“The Best Man” has gone down in history as one of the best Black films ever made. And, it’s one of the only films with a sequel that still tugged at our hearts 14 years after the first.
During his visit with CBS’ The Talk, Diggs mentioned that they’ve “all been in discussions with the director Malcolm Lee. I think it might end up being a TV series, maybe on a streaming platform. But the script has already been written, so we’ll see.”
View this post on Instagram
The characters are so relatable as they navigate adulthood and all of the headache and joy that comes with it. So we hope the characters keep their charm and the series continues with the storylines of each person while adding some fresh, new content.
Check out some of the film’s little known facts:
- The original title of the movie was “My Homeboy’s Wedding,” a nod to the 1997 blockbuster, “My Best Friend’s Wedding.”
- The film was Regina Hall’s feature debut. Hall portrayed Candy, the bachelor party stripper who captures the heart of Julian played by Harold Perrineau. In a Q&A at the 2018 LA Film Festival, Hall even admits that she drank a whole bottle of Alize before her audition because she was nervous and couldn’t dance.
- In 2009 Morris Chestnut, who plays Lance- the cheating football player who couldn’t handle being served what he was dishing out- admitted to Essence.com that he couldn’t imagine being in his character’s shoes.
- “The Best Man” was the feature-length directorial debut for Malcolm Lee who also happens to be the cousin of Spike Lee. Spike was also a producer of the film.
- The cast formed a true bond during the first film and remained friends for years. Sanaa Lathan once admitted that the reason the second film was such a success years later was because of the crew’s “real chemistry.”
What do you think about the hit film turning into a series? Is it a yay or nay?