Going vegan has proven to be more than the latest trend.
PETA’s Top 10 Vegan Cities List 2018
The “Vegetarianism in America” study published by Vegetarian Times, showed that 3.2 percent of U.S. adults, or 7.3 million people, follow a vegetarian-based diet. Approximately 0.5 percent, or 1 million, of those are vegans, who consume no animal products at all. Americans who have made the lifestyle change may recognize not only the health benefits, but the positive impact the animal-free diet has on the struggling environment. Plus, after documentaries like Food, Inc. and What the Health premiered, the public has become much more conscious of its food and beverage consumption as well as its origins and ingredients.
Vegans Like Restaurants Too
Despite the growing popularity of veganism, the challenge of dining out is still an unrectified nuance. However, being a vegan on the dining scene has improved tremendously over the years. Restaurants and eateries now serve more vegan friendly choices so you’re not just ordering salad for dinner. PETA’s list of top 10 vegan cities will help you plan a few domestic adventures to eat all the kale and avocado your heart desires.
- Los Angeles: The top vegan friendly city is none other than the City of Angels. This might not come as a surprise as famous L.A. residents like Natalie Portman and Liam Hemsworth have proudly embraced the vegan lifestyle. From classy restaurants like Crossroads to the laid-back eateries like Doomie’s Home Cookin’, being vegan in Los Angeles can actually be fun.
- New York City: Interestingly enough, New York City is the second most vegan friendly city in the nation. While L.A. and NYC might seem like polar opposites, New York also has plenty to offer for new and veteran vegans. Cuban restaurant Cienfuegos, Avant Garden, Mother of Pearl, and Ladybird are just a handful of the popular vegan restaurants one can find in the Big Apple.
- Detroit: Who knew Detroit was so vegan friendly? It landed at number six on the list thanks to spots like Detroit Vegan Soul and Rocky’s Road Brew’s food truck located on the Southwest side of the city. Since Detroit is known for the Coney Island hot dog, Chili Mustard Onions gets you right with a vegan version of it. Other popular vegan spots are Nosh Pit and Moor Herbs that hosts a Soul Food Saturday with vegan options of favorites like Macaroni and Jamaican Jerk Vegetables.
- Cleveland: Yeah, this is another surprising one. But Cleveland is definitely representing for the Vegans. Poison Berry Bakery will cure any sweet tooth with vegan-only chocolate chip banana bread, cannoli, cookies, cupcakes, doughnuts, and more. The Cute Little Cake Shop also offers vegan friendly sweet treats like cupcakes and cakes. Vegan Doughnut Company’s name speaks for itself.
- Kansas City: Even though KC is a small town most known for being the Barbecue Capital of the World, it’s friendly enough for vegans as it made the top 10 list. Thankfully, places like Peaceful Pig Vegan BBQ keeps the barbecue tradition alive with a vegan twist. Happy Apple Café is a newer place but is already making its mark in the city with food like sweet potato, black bean burgers, and house made cheesecake being featured on the menu.
Also on the list are San Francisco, Minneapolis, Portland, Omaha, and Miami.